Sunday, June 25, 2006

To Hell with Hail! And other ramblings...

mood: sleepy after a long day
current music: Michelle Branch


I wish the !$%&* hail would quit falling at my house!

I spent the afternoon with my family at our fave pastime...a baseball game. It was a gorgeous afternoon weatherwise where we were...partly cloudy, not too hot, nice breeze. Perfect baseball weather (Our team thought so to, 'cause they won! Woo hoo!). When we got home, however, we discovered that a thunderstorm had moved through and not only dumped a good rain on us, which we desperately need, it had hailed yet again. This is our third major hailstorm this month! The first one, about three weeks ago, completely thrashed my garden. My squash, corn, and lettuce all looked like it had been through a paper shredder. Then, just as everything was starting to perk back up and look better, another storm hit earlier this week. Luckily it didn't hail long that time. Then today. It didn't look like it was big hailstones today--mostly pea-sized. But holy moly there was a lot of it. Big piles of it, like snowdrifts.

You know, I'm all on board with the whole cycles of nature thing. Everything serves its purpose. But I could do with the moisture coming in liquid form instead of ice cubes that beat the crap out of my flowers and veggies I so painstakingly spend hours caring for. Grumble, grumble.

On the writing front...oh, wait, there is no writing front at the moment. But it's not because I'm procrastinating. Really! I'm kinda stuck on a certain issue in my current story, so I'm percolating about it. And once a brilliant solution comes to me, I'll race forward once again. For now...not so much. Instead I've been doing some promo work, some editing, reading my critique partner's latest story she's writing, which is oooooh so excellent! (Marin Thomas, who writes for Harlequin American, is my cp. Be sure to check out her McKade Brothers series, which starts in August! Lucky me, I'm reading the third book in the series right now...my very own sneak peek.)

And, of course, I've been going to baseball games. With one of my kids playing summer ball we have one practice and two games a week for him, then we try to squeeze in as many AAA and major league games as we can. Did I mention that this past week we went to an afternoon matinee game and my boys got to be the "junior announcers?" It was so cool! They got to announce over the loudspeaker who was coming up to bat. Talk about hamming it up. I think they have careers in show biz in their futures.

On another tangent...speaking of show biz, Nicole Kidman and Keith Urban were married today. I'm not usually the type to follow celebrity couples--usually because they come and go so quickly, who can keep up? But for some reason I have been following the Nicole/Keith wedding thing. I think they make a great couple, and do they look good together or what? She's beautiful, and he's a damned fine-looking man. Hmm...I might have to write a hero who's blond and bearded. What do you think?

And on a final, sad note... One of my darling clown loaches died today after an extended illness. When you're heavy into the fish-keeping hobby, you accept the fact that you're going to lose fish on occasion. Sometimes, in spite of your best efforts to get healthy ones at the store, they just don't make it. Other times they get mystery ailments and die overnight. I own a lot of fish, but of all my fish, my loaches have become the dearest to me. They have such funny personalities, and each individual loach has its own quirks. So I took the loss of my poor loachy, whose name was Francis, hard because I'd worked so hard to save him. He will be missed by his three loachy brothers and tankmates, Ronald, River, and Sebastian, by Angie the angel fish, and by me.

Signing off for today...

No comments: