Sunday, November 06, 2005

Psycho-Writer

The vamp story is coming along nicely! I've been in total psycho-writer mode for the past week. This means I'm at my computer writing feverishly until three or four in the morning (or later ) most days. And that I've been eating a lot of meals at my desk because I don't want to pull myself away from the story. Thank God for an understanding hubby, who cracks up when I say for the thirtieth time, "Hope you don't mind, but I'm going to go have sex with my characters now." :)

I'm about 11,000 words into the story at this point. I had thought this was going to be a short story (10-15,000 words), but as most of my writing friends and my publisher will tell you, I have this disease...I just can't seem to write short. How I ever finished my really short story Well Hung (which came in at about 6000 words) I will NEVER know. It still boggles my mind that I ever did that! For the vamp story, it feels like I'm about halfway through it, so it'll probably be in the 20-25,000 word ballpark. That's about the length of The Bounty Hunter.

As I've been writing it, this one has felt to me like it might be one of my sexiest to date, although...I'm not sure. It's hard for me, as the writer, to see the forest for the trees sometimes. I'm so close to the characters and...er...sexual situations in the book, that I can't always track exactly how hot a story is as I'm writing it--as compared to my other stories, that is. I hadn't reread some of my older stories in a long time, but a few days ago I reread parts of After Hours, and I'd totally forgotten I'd written some of that stuff. Hehehe! But with Night Shift, it's just that the setting (slightly futuristic and dark) and the heroine (cop) and hero (vamp) seem to naturally lend themselves to harder language and situations. I got fairly steamy as I was writing it...so I suppose that's a good sign. ;)

I'll keep you updated on my progress! And stay tuned to my website, because I'll be posting a blurb and excerpt very soon.

No comments: