Tuesday, November 01, 2005

M.L.'s Vamps

Yep, you read that correctly. :) Vamps as in vampires. As in my vampires...soon to come!

About a year ago I held a newsletter contest where I asked my newsletter subscribers to answer a few questions about what they liked, what they wanted to see, and what they hoped I'd write. One of the top suggestions that came up was for me to write some vampire stories. At that time I kind of gulped. I love to read vamp stories, but hadn't ever thought about writing one. Still...the thought stayed with me and every now and again the germ of an idea would come to me and I'd jot it down in one of my many computer "idea" files. But nothing ever truly came together for me.

Then, something happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I'd been sick and feeling horribly crappy, but I also had a slew of work to do for my "day" accounting job, some stuff I had to finish no matter how I felt. However, as I plugged along crunching numbers, a vamp story began to blossom in my mind. The more I thought about it, the more pieces of the puzzle fell into place, and I realized this was The One. The One I was going to write. Except I couldn't. I had to work on the accounting project because it was on a deadline. It figured. I'd finally come up with an idea I loved, I wanted desperately to start writing it...and I couldn't. Argh!!!! Talk about frustration!

Once I got the accounting project done, first I slept because I'd gotten very little for a couple of weeks, then, the next day, I shut my office door, and started the story. I'm VERY excited about it!! It's going to be called NIGHT SHIFT, and will be an erotic romance short story. There were a couple of rather big surprises that happened within the first few pages, things I hadn't planned but that just sort of showed up. Of course, that's the way writing often works for me. It serves me almost no purpose to plan stories out in detail because once I get down and dirty in the writing, the characters, the setting, and the events happen as they will and I simply become the channeler for them all, writing everything as fast and furiously as I can.

Stay tuned to my website. I'll be posting a blurb and an excerpt very soon! Remember...NIGHT SHIFT. If readers like this one, I may write a series with these characters!

No comments: