Sunday, November 13, 2005

It's growing! Plus a piercing story...

Remember that disease I told you about? ML's "can't write anything short to save her life" disease? :) Well, my vamp story, Night Shadows, is, er, still growing. In one of my last posts I said I thought it would probably be around 20-25,000 words. Yeah. Well, see, it didn't quite happen that way. The truth is, I'm currently at about 25,000 words in my writing of it and I still have to finish the scene I'm on and write the final scene. But I swear--really, I SWEAR!!--it's going to end at novella length and not be a full-blown novel. (I can hear AQP's editorial director, Trace Zaber, laughing from here...he's thinking, yeah, yeah, yeah, ML, heard it before, will believe it when I see it, not betting my life on it.)

Hey, in my own defense, this story is juicy! There's good sex, there's good emotional muck, the hero's already become one of my all time faves I've written, and there's a nasty bad guy. So how could I possibly water any of that down just to make the overall product shorter? Well, obviously, I can't!! :) But I seriously do think it will end up still nicely within novella length limits. I actually want it to be a novella because I, myself, love reading novellas. They have enough word count that the story and characters can be more fully explored than in a short, but they're quicker reading than a novel. I like that I can sit down and read a novella in a few hours. So...mark my words, this sucker will be done in the next couple of days and it WILL be a novella. Really! (Quit laughing, Trace!! )

On a non-writing related note, yesterday, on a wild hair, I got another piercing in my ear. This was my first one in my upper ear, in the "cartilage." I totally cracked up at the amount of paperwork I had to read and sign to get it done--I had to initial about ten different things, then sign in like four places once I'd read paragraph after paragraph about how getting piercings could lead to scarring, infections, diseases (Honest! They even gave some fancy scientific names for some of them.), and how said piercings required mondo proper aftercare or my ear might fall off and I might die. Okay, I made that very last part up, but you get the picture.

It was amazing how things have changed since I got my first ear piercing done when I was twelve. I went in with my mom to J.C. Penney--they were one of the few places who did them back then, unless you wanted to do them at home with a needle and a potato (no kidding...my mom and at least one of my sisters had it done that way). I don't remember my mom having to sign anything, I sat in the chair, snap, snap, it was done, I had throbbing ears and two lovely big gold posts.

I got my second round done when I was in high school. A friend and I were at the mall one Saturday, we went into one of the stores and, on a spur of the moment decision, got our ears pierced for the second time. Don't remember signing anything that time, either. Snap, snap, this time I had lovely sparkling birthstone earrings. There was just one problem. I played varsity basketball and the season was still in progress, so that night when I went to the game, I put tape over my new earrings (no jewelry allowed, but many refs would let you cover earrings or barrettes with tape if you chose), but the refs that night were picky and they made me take them out. Yow!! You should have seen me after the game trying to put those suckers back into my very sore holes. For the next three weeks, the final ones in the b-ball season, every dang ref made me take them out. It took about two years before those second holes finally healed completely and didn't hurt.

Round three...I was in college, was with my teenaged niece, again at the mall, and...you guess it, on a wild hair, went in to get a third piercing done, this time just on one side. No signing of paperwork, snap, snap, I had a lovely gold stud.

My how things have changed. Some seventeen years later, I have to sign my life away. At first I thought it was because it was a "cartilage" piercing instead of the regular earlobe stuff. But, no! They make everyone who comes in now read these forms and sign. Man, do we live in a litigious society or what, that even these poor folks who do ear piercing have to be sure to cover their butts so they don't get sued. I signed everything; no biggie. If I were doing the piercing I wouldn't anybody suing me, so I understood where they were coming from. But, still...it makes one wonder.

I really like my new piercing, by the way. I had heard from a couple of people that the higher up on your ear you go, the more painful the piercing, but I didn't experience that at all. In fact, I felt no pain. It was the easiest yet. I've been told I have to keep this earring (a tiny white gold stud this time) in a minimum of 12 weeks, and then always make sure I have a stud earring of some type in for at least a year.

By the way, don't expect to ever see me post saying I got my tongue or my belly button pierced. Just the paperwork alone that they no doubt make people sign for those is enough to scare me away! :)

Tattoos, on the other hand... I have one. Uh oh, I think I might be feeling a wild hair coming on to get another...

No comments: