Monday, August 22, 2005

What I'm reading...

I usually spend between 60 and 90 minutes, five or six times a week, on my exercise bike. At times it's a bitch. So I read and it makes my exercise time a thousand times more bearable. If I get tired of reading I sometimes watch movies while I ride. But mostly I read.

Most recent fare: Catherine Asaro's Skolian series. If you like Sci-Fi, you have to try Asaro. Richly detailed sci-fi world, excellent characterization, and if you happen to be a science geek like my hubby, Asaro's a physicist in real life, so there's plenty of science for those who want it without being too much for those of us whose brains tend to shut down when things get too technical. I've read the books in this order: Primary Inversion, The Last Hawk, Catch the Lightning, The Radiant Seas, Ascendant Sun, and I'm currently partway through Spherical Harmonic. The Last Hawk is my fave of the series so far. Kelric is an amazing character. I have a real fondness for tortured heroes and he is the ultimate tortured hero. Plus, I found the game/philosophy of Quis completely fascinating. Anyway, I set aside Spherical Harmonic in mid-July, even though I hadn't quite finished it, so I could reread...

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. Had to do a reread so I'd be ready for HBP when it came out. When Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince arrived in my hot little hands, I read it in one sitting the first day. Took me about nine hours. Awesome book. Sad but awesome. I was a wreck for several days afterward. Until I had an epiphany. But since I don't want to spoil it for those of you who might not have read HBP, I'll keep my mouth shut. :) Then, under duress (because I wanted to read it again immediately), I passed it on to my older son who read it in a couple of days, then to hubby who read it in a few days. While I waited impatiently for them to finish and give it back, I reread Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire to fulfill my "I must have more Harry RIGHT NOW!!" craving. When I got HBP back a week later, I read it again. Not gobbling on round two...savoring.

When that was done, I reread Eragon by Christopher Paolini because the sequel's out this month and I wanted to refresh my memory on book one before I start book two. Then I decided to reread Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone because it had been eons since I read it. Yes, you read that correctly, HP and the Philosopher's Stone not the Sorcerer's Stone. I decided I wanted to get Harry in his more natural state as Jo Rowling really writes, so I went to Amazon UK and ordered the Bloomsbury version of all six books. That way I can savor the UK language and spellings. So I read Philosopher's Stone.

Currently I'm reading an Arthurian-based story called Firebrand by an Amber Quill author, Debra Kemp. I love Arthurian tales and Kemp's done a fab job of coming up with something fresh. It's excellent reading so far! As soon as I'm finished with that I'll start Eldest, which is the Paolini sequel to Eragon. Then I'll probably get back to the rest of my Bloomsbury Harry Potters. :) Yes, yes, it's a sickness. I think I've made it very clear that I am a hopeless Harry fan. Hey, I have to have something Harry related to focus on while I wait for the Goblet of Fire movie to come out in November! Argh!! Too long from now. Much too long!! But, alas, the folks at Warner Brothers will make me wait. So until then, I'll read...

No comments: