Monday, June 21, 2004

A Story is Born!

People always ask me how I come up with ideas for the stories I write. I tell them ideas are everywhere--life, newspaper, TV, movies, music, people, events, you name it. I'm never at a loss for story fodder. Sometimes I roll ideas around in my head for a while until all the pieces fall into place and other times they come to me in one fell swoop.

A couple of weeks ago I signed up to write a novella for a special Amber Quill project that will be released in December. The story's theme has to deal with the movies or theater. I'd been struggling with possibilities ever since. Then, this weekend, I was listening to the Moulin Rouge soundtrack. Ewan McGregor can sing to me any day, baby! That led me off to thinking how sexy a man's voice can be. (Those of you who've read my stories know this tends to be something that pops up in my work often, LOL!) I started thinking about all the powerful, sensual men's singing voices that really do it for me, and along with Ewan's, another one that's always cranked my engine is Michael Crawford's voice in Andrew Lloyd Webber's The Phantom of the Opera. Hmm...Moulin Rouge, Phantom of the Opera...did I detect a trend? :)

And just like that...voila! A plot and characters for my story appeared in full bloom in my mind. Even the characters' names and appearances came to me in Technicolor. I LOVE it when that happens!

So in December, look for my novella, MASKS, coming from Amber Quill Press as part of their Lights, Camera...Action!!! AmberPax series! I'm pretty psyched!

Now...time to go dig out my Phantom of the Opera CD. (It's research, I swear!)

No comments: